October 11: Flightless Bird Awareness Day
- 1581 - Dodos enjoyed for first time by Portuguese.
- 1809 - Famed explorer Meriwether Lewis dies of a gunshot wound. Although it is generally believed to be a suicide, others note that suspicious-looking kiwis were seen lurking in the area.
- 1850 - University of Sydney opens, offering degrees in emu ranching and cassowary wrangling.
- 1895 - A staging of Oscar Wilde's The Importance of Being Earnest is disrupted when an ostrich is accidentally let into the theater. Wilde clubs the bird into submission with his shoe.
- 1923 - Scientists prove there are no penguins at the north pole, wonder why.
- 1942 - Penguin Punting is invented in New Zealand due to war-time rationing of sports equiptment
- 1958 - Penguin (chocolate bar is invented), Kit Kat is infuriated.
- 1975 - Saturday Night Live debuts with an emperor penguin as guest host.
- 1989 - McDonald's introduces the Ostrich McNugget.
- 1998 - The Ostrich McNugget is reported to be a tasty non greasy supplement by Wikipedia, shows what they know...
- 2004 - McDonalds introduces the Emperor Penguin deluxe kids meal, with 98% penguin meat.
- 2012 - Penguin Armies of Doom rise up and overthrow humanity.