Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Documentary Series
Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Documentary Series was a straight-to-DVD release paying homage to Danny Phantom: The Animated Documentary Series, as well as the 1977 film, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes.
The series was split into several half-hour episodes, but the whole series focused on the role of Captain Mason Gates VC, the father of Bill Gates, during the Great Tomato War. Using Captain Gates' surviving testaments, the show used state-of-the-art animation to tell the story of the Great Tomato War through the eyes of the soldiers who fought in it.
However, the series also used a number of accounts from veterans on the Tomato side, and would sometimes have sections of the episodes to focus on the effects the war had on both sides rather than on a single side.
The series was born out of the Killer Tomato boom in the 1980's/1990's following the release of Return of the Killer Tomatoes, and used the book heavily in it's synopsis. The title itself pays tribute to the poorly-rated film, Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, which was for a short time considered to be a documentary-film itself. Bob Hoskins, who played Dr. Forrester in the film, plays the Cabbages in this film and is the only lead-actor from the film to appear in the cartoon series. Slappy Squirrel, who also appeared in Attack of the Killer Tomatoes, featured in Danny Phantom: The Animated Documentary Series, which this cartoon show pays tribute to.
The backgrounds and scenery used in the series was inspired by actual footage from the Great Tomato War, and rotoscoped some photographs of the battlefields to use in the actual cartoon.
- Vegetable Vengeance (pilot) - Captain Gates is stationed in Edinburgh when he receives word that the Tomatoes are planning an uprising following the Potato Famine. Captain Gates thinks little of it, but the Tomatoes begin their massacre of Great Britain.
- To Arms - Heading south of the border, Gates receives word that the Carrots are beginning to show their support for the Tomatoes, who have landed along the west coast of Britain. In Ireland, a young Fenton Crackshell boards the HMS Limburger in the recruitment drive that folows.
- The First Blow - The Tomatoes begin their first major assault on the town of Woking, with the Carrots nearby. Elsewhere, Captain Gates is recruiting the help of Cucumbers loyal to the British Empire.
- Stewed - The HMS Limburger assists troops in Benin, Africa against a Carrot onslaught there, but fails to save two Cabbages caught in the crossfire. Back in England, Captain Gates and the Cucumbers survey the wreckage of Woking and attempt to locate the next target, but the Tomatoes have already arrived.
- Man vs. Plant - Captain Gates successfully foils an attempted attack on London by the Tomatoes, and learns of failed attempts by the Tomatoes to invade France.
- Eye of the Storm - Captain Gates and the Cucumbers continue their march westward, making them vulnerable to guerilla attacks by the Tomatoes. In the skies, a figure is watching them and it isn't God.
- The Day of the Tomatoes - In Cardiff, Killer Carrots and Killer Tomatoes have barricaded the military there into the castle, with several Cucumbers aiding in the fight. Captain Gates discovers a small second-wave of Tomatoes heading to reinforce the troops at Cardiff, and attacks them and wins.
- Reluctant Friendship - Galactic President Zaphod Beeblebrox arrives and calls a meeting of humans and plants alike, and orders a Vegetable Armistice to be signed. There is some friction between the two sides before the Armistice is signed.
- Aftershock (Finale) - The aftermath of the Great Tomato War is grim, with Tomatoes attempting to restart tensions between man and vegetable.
The Series was met with an overwhelmingly positive review. Peter Jennings described the Series as: "Breathtaking, powerful and unpleasantly violent...it's perfect family entertainment". Susan Sarandon praised the film for it's dark atmosphere despite the fact that it was a cartoon, and claimed that it was one of her favourite series.
Only a handful of viewers criticised the film, largely due to it's violence, but mainly because they had nothing better to do.
- Bill Gates - Captain Mason Gates VC
- George Clooney - Fenton Crackshell
- Martin Sheen - Lt. Wilbur Finletter MC
- Matt Damon - Corporal Sam Smith
- Rowan Atkinson - Zaphod Beeblebrox
- Sonic the Hedgehog - The Scientist
- Tim Robbins - Admiral Maxtible
- Danny Glover - The Killer Tomatoes
- Sean Penn - The Killer Carrots
- Bill Nighy - The Cucumbers
- Bob Hoskins - The Cabbages
- Jessica Alba - The Salad Dressing
|Killer Tomatoes series|
|The Movies||Attack of the Killer Tomatoes • Return of the Killer Tomatoes|
|TV||Killer Tomatoes Strike Back • Killer Tomatoes Eat France! • Attack of the Killer Tomatoes: The Animated Documentary Series • Attack of the Killer Potatoes|
|Miscellanous||Bill Gates• Great Tomato War • Killer Tomato • Potato Famine|