That's what she said
“Big Balls! ”
“That's what she said.”
“For the love of God, WHAT DID SHE SAY?!”
“That's what she said... or he said.”
“She's Helen Keller. So she didn't say anything.”
That's what she said is a small, unsatisfying remark to a comment or speech made popular by The Office.
While we may never know the exact origin of the phrase. One of the earliest, if not first, occurrences of That's what she said in popular culture can be traced back to 1975, uttered by Chevy Chase during Weekend Update on the first season of the popular sketch comedy show "Saturday Night Live".
Recently, many people have come forward with stories allegedly passed down from generation to generation regarding either the ancestor witnessing or telling the first instance of the joke. Here is a list of quotes alleged to have resulted in "That's what she said."
“Your tongue is extremely gifted.”
“I think nine is all I can handle.”
“Yeah, I survived, but look at me, I can barely walk.”
“Sure, I get sweaty and flustered, and my voice is shouted hoarse, but I think it's worth it.”
“It looks like a gigantic mushroom. I think that thing could seriously hurt a lot of people.”
“How the hell did that penetrate both of us?”
“Stop pounding me so hard!”
Although that's-what-she-said jokes can be hilarious in many contexts, the risks should not be overlooked; not only can the overuse of these joke make you look like a douchebag, it may even have linguistic consequences.
Alternatives to that's what she said
You don't have to say that's what she said to get the attention of your peers, there are alternatives, that are just as funny, such as:
- That could be construed as sexual if used in alternative context.
- (The always classic...) in my pants.
- (From the epic motion picture Top Gun) So's my johnson.
- (traditionally quipped at the end of fortune cookies) In bed.
- (also quipped at the end of fortune cookies) On a street corner naked.
- Those indeed are the words that she spoke
- When it is more applicable, that's what he said
- That beith what she proclaimed
Teenage boys are prone to making the "That's what she said comment". Beware when you speaking in the company of teenage boys as even comments that aren't sexually related are bound to be caught out. In fact, the only way to get a "That's what she said comment" is to talk about the most mundane and most random topic available.
- Person 1: Yesterday his stuff spilt all over the place.
- Person 2: That's what she said.
Phrases that would
NOT make good "That's what she said" set-ups.
(Please note that, if another male says one of these things, you can say "That's what she said to you", and it would be funny. However, do not say this if the male is stronger than you and is angered easily)
- I'm glad you came.
- Any strange exhale
- It's so tiny!
- I can't feel a thing!
- Don't touch me!
- I'm your mother.
- Did you brush your teeth?
- Is that it?
- My name is Joe.
- That's what she said.
- So this is how democracy dies... to thunderous applause.
- So how did the lobotomy go?
- Thank you, finally!
- That will be sixty dollars.
- Oh, it's squishy and cold!
- You're GAY?!
- Sieg Heil.
- Kangaroos can reach speeds of up to 25 miles per hour.
- I am a female and I am saying something.
- Is it in yet?... Damn.
- I'm actually a man.
- I think I'm in love with you.
- After I met you, I realized I'm gay.
- Would not buy again.
- I'll have to pretend that I'm satisfied.
- Get off the road!
- Bond. James Bond.
- Look, a person who abuses catchphrases!
- I'm telling mom.
- Let us divide jokes into categories of clever and not clever. Second category first. Ready?
- I don't think this is working out.
- I am in fact Captain Obvious.
- I think we should break up.
- That's what she said. or he said. either one.
- Just watch The Office. Every line consists of it.
- How fast can you go?
- Well, if it comes, it comes.
- What are you doing?
- It happened so suddenly.
- Practice makes perfect.
- Quit playing with it and put it in already.
- You had better think about it long and hard. (Dwight)
- That's what it really looks like?
- This is going to be too hard.
- Are you even trying that hard?
- I got it all over me!
- It's so long.
- Feel free to come.
- Why is this so hard?
- That's a mouthful!
- All over the table and everything.
- My parents have been doing that to me since I was six (so has my cousin)
- Well, you always leave me satisfied and smiling. (Jim)
- No more for me, I'm full.
- That's what she said again!
- I eat bragiole every Monday
- You already did me! (Angela)
- I'm sure I'm not your first.
- All this stuff on my lap is goona get sticky (glue)
- Sorry... I'm all wet
- I Like Penis
Fictional videos on the origin of "that's what she said."