Talk:Sunni days and Arabian Nights
Are you dissin' my region again? --User:Mordillo/sig 17:03, 5 November 2006 (UTC)
- If you're a Wahhabist Islamic Saudi, yes. But you're not, so no. After the criticism on VFH of Solid Gold being too repetitive (which it is, but it's not really my fault; it's more Shari'a's "old school" paradigm of "justice" that's the problem. Of course, that's the whole point of the page, really.) I'm trying to write a light zinger. Maybe even with some of this thing you kids these days call "humour" (whether I'm succeeding or not, I don't know).--User:Modusoperandi/sig 17:17, 5 November 2006 (UTC)
I'm a bit surprised that a Canadian acatually know the Wahabis :) You're either Sunni, very smart, or watch too much national geographic. --User:Mordillo/sig 17:22, 5 November 2006 (UTC)
- Fundamentalism is one of the most dangerous things facing mankind these days; I write shit like this to take the piss out of them. I don't know how much good writing Solid Gold, Left Behind, American Fundie Magazine, Freedom of Speech and now this does, but it's cathartic...and it fulfills my nefarious goal of getting more satire on Uncyc. I picked Saudi Arabia this time, because it's marketed as an ally, but as Wahhabi (and Islamism in general) is an enemy of secularism, democracy and secular democracy, it's really the opposite of that. I'm hoping that this is funny; I can never really tell with my own stuff. Something about "forest for the trees". --User:Modusoperandi/sig 17:32, 5 November 2006 (UTC)
Comments from Pee Review
I made this because Solid Gold caught some flak for being too repetitive with its focus on Shari'a...so I tried to write something lite. The problem is; I don't know if I like it. The only places I laugh are the last pic and its caption and some of the footnotes.
Also, I need a title. I'm thinking either "Vacations Vacations Vacations Vacations, LLC Travel Brochure" or "Visit Saudi Arabia!"...but, to be honest, neither is doing it for me.
Excuse my confusion, but I can't help feeling that I've dug myself a black hole of comedy from which not even light satire can escape...--User:Modusoperandi/sig 11:06, 7 November 2006 (UTC)
I like. Maybe you call it the Abdel Wahab adventure package? or maybe Sunni Nights or something....--User:Mordillo/sig 11:14, 7 November 2006 (UTC)
- "Sunni Days and Arabian Nights"?--User:Modusoperandi/sig 11:21, 7 November 2006 (UTC)
- See also: Holiday - David Gerard 12:12, 9 November 2006 (UTC)
- I do. You had me scared for a moment...I though it was going to be exactly the same.--User:Modusoperandi/sig 18:01, 9 November 2006 (UTC)
Although the article itself is good, I don't think it will ever be VFH (if you planned on that) do to the irreparable and inevitable similarities between this and A Tour of Baghdad. I mean, I would vote for it, but I'm not sure it would have overwhelming acclaim for that reason. --User:§ǚρωξλ£μĦΦφ≈€ƏξßÐÆØΞ/sig 19:21, 9 November 2006 (UTC)
- Odd, I don't see them as similar at all. They're both vacations in the mideast with "spin"...other than that, not so much. No matter, I don't write for acclaim, overwhelming or otherwise.--User:Modusoperandi/sig 20:07, 9 November 2006 (UTC)